Memorizing Scriptures is an important and integral part of a successful believer’s life. It is bound to lead into manifold blessings. It helps to overcome temptations and resist every onslaught of the evil one. Consider the experience of Psalmist, as per Psalms 119:11 (KJV) that says: Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. And Matthew 4:4 (KJV) says: But he (Jesus) answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. When Jesus Himself memorized Scriptures to defend Himself, how much we need to be doing that! This also helps in ministering to people more confidently and effectively.
"I am convinced that one of the greatest things we can do is to memorize Scripture." - Billy Graham.
Please read the following illustration:
John Wanamaker, one of the country’s greatest merchants, said: “I have of course made large purchases of property in my lifetime … and the buildings and grounds in which we are now meeting represent a value of approximately twenty billion dollars.
“But it was as a boy in the country, at eleven years of age, that I made my biggest purchase. In a little mission Sunday school, I bought from my teacher a small, red, leather Bible. The Bible cost me $2.75—which I paid in small installments as I saved. That was my greatest purchase, for that Bible made me what I am today.”
After that statement, the New York Herald Tribune captioned its write-up thus: “LATER DEALS IN MILLIONS CALLED SMALL COMPARED WITH BUYING HOLY WRIT AT ELEVEN.” (tanbible.com)
I have categorized some verses into few specific minor and major topics to facilitate easy remembering of references and also chose those translations for each verse which again is easier to memorize. They are as follows:
1. Heb 11:1 (KJV) - Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
2. Heb 11:6 (GNB) - No one can please God without faith, for whoever comes to God must have faith that God exists and rewards those who seek him.
3. 2 Co 5:7 (KJV) - For we walk by faith, not by sight:
1. Joh 14:15 (GNB) - "If you love me, you will obey my commandments.
2. Jos 1:8 (GNB) - Be sure that the book of the Law is always read in your worship. Study it day and night, and make sure that you obey everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.
3. Joh 8:29 (GNB) - And he who sent me is with me; he has not left me alone, because I always do what pleases him."
1. 2Ch 7:14 (KJV) - If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2. Jer 31:34 b (KJV) - . . . for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.
3. Mat 6:15 (CEV) - But if you don't forgive others, your Father will not forgive your sins.
1. Mat 6:33 (KJV) - But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
2. Psa 34:10 (GNB) - Even lions go hungry for lack of food, but those who obey the LORD lack nothing good.
3. Php 4:13 (CEV) - Christ gives me the strength to face anything.
1. Jas 4:6 b (KJV) - . . . God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.
2. Joh 15:5 (KJV) - I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
3. Psa 75:6-7 (KJV) - For promotion cometh neither from the east, nor from the west, nor from the south. (7) But God is the judge: he putteth down one, and setteth up another.
1. Isa 53:5 (BBE) - But it was for our sins he was wounded, and for our evil doings he was crushed: he took the punishment by which we have peace, and by his wounds we are made well.
2. Psa 103:3 (KJV) - Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;
3. Mar 16:17-18 (KJV) - And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; (18) They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
1. Isa 54:17 (GW) - No weapon that has been made to be used against you will succeed. You will have an answer for anyone who accuses you. This is the inheritance of the LORD'S servants. Their victory comes from me," declares the LORD.
2. Rom 8:31 (KJV) - What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
3. 2Ti 1:7 (ESV) - for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
1. Joh 14:1-3 (MKJV) - Let not your heart be troubled. You believe in God, believe also in Me. (2) In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. (3) And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, so that where I am, you may be also.
2. Mat 11:28 (KJV) - Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
3. Psa 34:19 (KJV) - Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the LORD delivereth him out of them all.
1. Rom 8:28 (KJV) - And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
2. 1Th 5:18 (KJV) - In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
3. 1Th 5:16 (ESV) - Rejoice always,
1. Eph 2:8-9 (GNB) - For it is by God's grace that you have been saved through faith. It is not the result of your own efforts, but God's gift, so that no one can boast about it.
2. Rom 6:23 (KJV) - For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
3. Rom 5:8 (MKJV) - But God commends His love toward us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.
XI. HOLY SPIRIT
1. Act 7:51 (MKJV) - O stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears! You always resist the Holy Spirit. As your fathers did, so you do.
2. Eph 4:30 (KJV) - And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
3. 1Th 5:19 (KJV) - Quench not the Spirit.
1. Jos 21:45 (GNB) - The LORD kept every one of the promises that he had made to the people of Israel.
2. Psa 12:6 (GW) - The promises of the LORD are pure, like silver refined in a furnace and purified seven times.
3. 1Th 5:24 (KJV) - Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.
XIII. LOVE GOD
1. Son 2:3 (GNB) - Like an apple tree among the trees of the forest, so is my dearest compared to other men. I love to sit in its shadow, and its fruit is sweet to my taste.
2. Son 6:3 a(KJV) - I am my beloved's, and my beloved is mine: . . .
3. Son 5:10 (GNB) - My lover is handsome and strong; he is one in ten thousand. 16b (MKJV) He is altogether lovely.
1. 1Pe 3:15 (KJV) - But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: (Answer)
2. Php 1:7 (ISV) - For it is only right for me to think this way about all of you, because I have you in my heart. Both in my imprisonment and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel, all of you are partners with me in grace. (Defend)
3. 2Co 10:5 (GNB) - we pull down every proud obstacle that is raised against the knowledge of God; we take every thought captive and make it obey Christ. (Offend)
1. 2Co 5:17 (KJV) - Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
2. Rom 3:23 (KJV) - For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
3. 1Jn 1:9 (KJV) - If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
4. Rev 3:20 (ESV) - Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.
5. Joh 1:12 (KJV) - But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
1. Mar 16:16 (MKJV) - He who believes and is baptized will be saved, but he who does not believe will be condemned.
2. Act 2:38 (KJV) - Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
3. Act 8:36 (GNB) - As they traveled down the road, they came to a place where there was some water, and the official said, "Here is some water. What is to keep me from being baptized?" (37) (Webster) And Philip said, If thou believest with all thy heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
4. Rom 6:4 (ESV) - We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.
5. Mat 3:16-17 (Webster) - And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up immediately out of the water: and lo, the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: (17) And lo, a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
III. HOLY SPIRIT BAPTISM
1. Eph 5:18 (GNB) - Do not get drunk with wine, which will only ruin you; instead, be filled with the Spirit.
2. Act 1:8 (ASV) - But ye shall receive power, when the Holy Spirit is come upon you: and ye shall be my witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea and Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
3. Act 11:16 (MKJV) - And I remembered the Word of the Lord, how He said, John indeed baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit.
4. Act 2:17 (KJV) - And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
5. 1Co 12:11 (GNB) - But it is one and the same Spirit who does all this; as he wishes, he gives a different gift to each person.
1. Php 4:6 (KJV) - Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
2. Psa 66:18 (KJV) - If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me:
3. 1Jn 5:14 (KJV) - And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:
4. Jas 4:3 (GNB) - And when you ask, you do not receive it, because your motives are bad; you ask for things to use for your own pleasures.
5. Jas 1:6-7 (MKJV) - But let him ask in faith, doubting nothing. For he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, driven by the wind and tossed. (7) For do not let that man think that he shall receive anything from the Lord;
1. Jer 10:23 (KJV) - O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.
2. Joh 16:13 (ESV) - When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.
3. Psa 103:7 (GNB) - He revealed his plans to Moses and let the people of Israel see his mighty deeds.
4. Pro 3:5-6 (KJV) - Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. (6) In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
5. Rom 8:14 (KJV) - For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
1. Joh 10:10 (MKJV) - The thief does not come except to steal and to kill and to destroy. I have come so that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
2. Joh 8:44 (GNB) - You are the children of your father, the Devil, and you want to follow your father's desires. From the very beginning he was a murderer and has never been on the side of truth, because there is no truth in him. When he tells a lie, he is only doing what is natural to him, because he is a liar and the father of all lies.
3. 1Pe 5:8 (GNB) - Be alert, be on watch! Your enemy, the Devil, roams around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour.
4. 1Jn 3:8 (KJV) - He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
5. Jas 4:7 (KJV) - Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
VII. LISTENING TO HIS VOICE
1. 1Ki 19:12 (KJV) - And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.
2. Joh 2:5 (CEV) - Mary then said to the servants, "Do whatever Jesus tells you to do."
3. 2Ki 4:27 (GNB) - but when she came to Elisha, she bowed down before him and took hold of his feet. Gehazi was about to push her away, but Elisha said, "Leave her alone. Can't you see she's deeply distressed? And the LORD has not told me a thing about it."
4. Exo 5:21-23 (GNB) - (21) They said to Moses and Aaron, "The LORD has seen what you have done and will punish you for making the king and his officers hate us. You have given them an excuse to kill us." (22) Then Moses turned to the LORD again and said, "Lord, why do you mistreat your people? Why did you send me here? (23) Ever since I went to the king to speak for you, he has treated them cruelly. And you have done nothing to help them!"
5. Heb 3:15 (GNB) - This is what the scripture says: "If you hear God's voice today, do not be stubborn, as your ancestors were when they rebelled against God."
1. Psa 77:14 (GNB) - You are the God who works miracles; you showed your might among the nations.
2. Luk 1:37 (KJV) - For with God nothing shall be impossible.
3. Mar 9:23 (MKJV) - Jesus said to him, If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.
4. Joh 11:40 (GNB) - Jesus said to her, "Didn't I tell you that you would see God's glory if you believed?"
5. Jos 3:5 (KJV) - And Joshua said unto the people, Sanctify yourselves: for tomorrow the LORD will do wonders among you.