Sunday, July 7, 2019

ARE WE OBEYING?



S. D. Gordon, in his Quiet Talks on Power, says that a prominent clergyman in New England tells this experience:

"In the house of his pastoral work he was called upon to conduct the funeral service of a young woman who had died quite unexpectedly. 

As he entered the house he met the minister in charge of the mission church where the family attended & asked him, ‘Was Mary a believer?’ To his surprise, a pained look came into the young man's face as he replied:

`Three weeks ago I had a strong impulse to speak to her, but I did not; & I do not know.'

A moment later he met the girl's Sunday school teacher & asked her the same question. Quickly the tears came as she said:

`Two weeks ago, Doctor, a voice seemed to say to me, "Speak to Mary," & I knew what it meant, and I intended to, but I did not & I do not know.'

Deeply moved by these unexpected answers, a few minutes later he met the girl's mother & thinking doubtless to give her an opportunity to speak a word that would bring comfort to her own heart, he said quietly, `Was Mary a Christian girl?'

The tears came quick to the mother's eyes as she sobbed out, `One week ago a voice came to me saying, "Speak to Mary," and I thought of it, but I did not do it at the time & you know how unexpectedly she went away & I do not know."'

- The King's Business. (moreillustrations.com)

1 Thess 5:19 (AMP): “Do not quench the Holy Spirit.”

No comments: