Monday, April 21, 2014

IS BIBLE A LUCKY CHARM?


In 1974, before I went to Africa to fight Muhammad Ali, a friend gave me a Bible to take along on my trip. He said, “George, keep this with you for good luck.” I believed the Bible was just a shepherd’s handbook, probably because the only verse I knew was “the Lord is my shepherd.” But I was always looking for luck, so I carried that Bible with me. I had lucky pennies and good luck charms, so now I added the “lucky” Bible to my collection of superstitious items.

After I lost the fight, I threw the Bible away. I never even opened it. I thought, The Bible didn’t help me win, so why do I need it? I thought I’d get power simply from owning it; I didn’t realize that I needed to read it and believe what it says. Since then, I’ve come to understand that the Bible is my road map, not my good luck charm. - George Foreman, boxing legend & two-time World Heavyweight Champion.

Psalms 119:105 says: “Your word is a lamp to guide me and a light for my path.”

Are you guilty of not opening your Bible and reading enough of God's Word today?

No comments: