Tuesday, October 9, 2018

CONSCIENCE



Dr. David James Burrell once told this story to illustrate conscience:

An Indian had bought a package of supplies at a trading post & on opening it found a silver coin inside. Something troubled him. He came back to the trading post & handed the coin to the trader.

The trader laughed at his sensitivity, but the Indian insisted, saying:

"I got a good man & a bad man in my heart. The good man say, `It is not yours'; the bad man say, 'Nobody will know'; the good man say, 'Take it back'; the bad man say, `Never mind'; so I think I go asleep, but the good man & the bad man talk all night & trouble me."

The distressed Indian had developed a conscience. Perhaps some missionary had taught him an ideal of honesty & his conscience sensitized his ideal so that he was compelled to return the coin in order to have peace of mind.

This is what conscience accomplishes; it brings peace of mind.

-Westminster Teacher. (moreillustrations.com)

“Conscience is the voice of God in the soul.” -  James H. Aughey.

“And so I do my best always to have a clear conscience before God and people.” – Paul (Acts 24:16 GNT)

“If any speak ill of thee, fly home to thy own conscience and examine thy heart. If thou art guilty, it is a just correction; if not guilty, it is a fair instruction.” -  George Herbert.

No comments: