Friday, March 8, 2019

‘BUT’



"But" is a little word, but my, what a big word it is!

Some years ago, when Chief Justice Charles E. Hughes of the United States Supreme Court was the United States delegate to the Pan-American conference at Havana,  an interpreter was whispering into Mr. Hughes' ear the flowery introduction by a local orator.

Mr. Hughes stopped his aide, saying:
"Don't bother about interpreting anything until he says `but.' Give me everything after that."

- Buffalo Evening News. (moreillustrations.com)

Rev 2:3-4 (GNT): “You are patient, you have suffered for my sake, and you have not given up. BUT this is what I have against you: you do not love me now as you did at first.”

Pro 12:1 (ERV): “Fools always think their own way is best, BUT wise people listen to what others tell them.”

“A pharisee is hard on others and easy on himself, BUT a spiritual man is easy on others and hard on himself.” -  A.W. Tozer.

No comments: