Tuesday, June 18, 2019

A RUNNER WHO HONORED GOD


It is told of Eric Liddell, who won the 400 meters race at the Olympic games in Paris, that when he found his race was to be run on the Lord's Day he refused to compete, saying: "I object to Sunday sports in toto," and thus counted himself out.
 

The sporting press of Europe derided him; he was criticized on all sides, even by the papers of his own country. But the stand taken by such a noted athlete had its effect & the race was not run until later in the week.
 

He says: "I remember that when I was about to run in the finals the trainer handed me a little note. I opened it & read the words, `Them that honor Me will I honor.' (1 Sam 2:30). It was God's promise. He helped me & I won."
 

And the public that had condemned him changed its opinion & gave him great applause.
 

-Youth's Companion. (moreillustrations.com)
 

“Show me the person you honor, for I know better by that the kind of person you are. For you show me what your idea of humanity is.” -  Thomas Carlyle.




No comments: