Tuesday, October 28, 2014

LITTLE CUCUMBERS


When I was just a boy, I was intrigued by a large cucumber. It was no different from any other cucumber, but it was in the strangest place. My uncle kept it in a bottle on a shelf. This particular cucumber was many times too large to go through the neck of the bottle. I wondered how it got there in the first place.

I was filled with awe of my uncle who could perform such a feat. He joked about it & never told me how he did it. My mother finally explained that when the cucumber was very tiny, it had been passed through the narrow neck & allowed to grow while still attached to the vine.

My mother practiced a similar principle with her children. From my earliest memory she surrounded me with prayer & instruction & the gospel. As a result, I was brought to Christ & am now safe in the bottle of His salvation.

What a lesson for parents who have "little cucumbers" at home. Don't let anything interfere with your first duty toward them. The person who said "Give me a child till he is 7 & I care not who gets him after that" knew the value of early training.

Don't neglect your little cucumbers. Soon they will be big. - M R De Haan

Pro 22:6 (BBE): “If a child is trained up in the right way, even when he is old he will not be turned away from it.”

“Train up a child in the way he should go - but be sure you go that way yourself.” - Charles Spurgeon.

No comments: