Sunday, August 26, 2018

PREACHING



A young preacher in a college town was embarrassed by the thought of criticism that he was likely to receive from such a cultured congregation.

He sought out his father, an old & wise minister of the Gospel & asked:

“Father, I find it hard to outline a sermon I can preach to these people. If I cite anything from geology, there is a geology professor, before me. If I use an illustration from history, there is a Professor ready to trip me up. If I choose English literature for some illustration, I am afraid the whole English department may rise & challenge me. What shall I do?”

The godly old man replied: “Preach the Gospel, my son! They probably know very little about that.”

“Dear brothers and sisters, when I came to you, I told you the secret truth of God. But I did not use fancy words or great wisdom.  I decided that while I was with you I would forget about everything except Jesus Christ and his death on the cross.” – Paul (1 Cor 2: 1-2 ERV)

- (moreillustrations.com)

“I fully intend to preach the word of God to you until there's a difference between how you walk out of here and how you walked in here.” -  T.D. Jakes.

No comments: