Friday, April 22, 2016

PREACHING THE TRUTH



There is a tale told of the great English actor, Macready.

An eminent preacher once said to him: “I wish you would explain to me something.”

“Well, what is it? I don’t know that I can explain anything to a preacher.”

“What is the difference between you & me? You are appearing before crowds night after night with fiction & the crowds come wherever you go. I am preaching the essential & unchangeable truth & I am not getting any crowd at all.”

Macready replied: “This is quite simple. I can tell you the difference between us. I present my fiction as though it were truth; you present your truth as though it were fiction.”

From ‘Preaching’ - G. Campbell Morgan (ministry127.com)

 “The sermon which does not lead to Christ, or of which Jesus Christ is not the top and the bottom, is a sort of sermon that will make the devils in hell laugh, but make the angels of God weep.” - Charles Spurgeon.

2 Tim 4:2 (NCV): “Preach the Good News. Be ready at all times, and tell people what they need to do. Tell them when they are wrong. Encourage them with great patience and careful teaching.”

“Lord, help me to preach today as if it were the last sermon I would ever preach.” - Jack Hyles.

No comments: