Friday, April 15, 2016

The name of JESUS




When Bishop Beveridge was dying, one of his closest friends said to him, "Bishop Beveridge, do you know me?"

The bishop asked, "Who are you?" And when the name was mentioned he said, "No."

Then they said to him, "Don't you know your wife?"

"What is her name?" he again asked.     

His wife came forward & said, "I am your wife, do you not know me?"

"No, I did not know I had a wife."

The old man's mental machinery was breaking down. Then one knelt by him & whispered in his ear, "Do you know the Lord Jesus Christ?"

At that the dying man's face lighted up & he answered, "Yes, I have known Him for the last forty years & I can never forget Him."

Ah, yes; when memory's cords are all snapping, and the mind wanders in a maze, still the name of this Friend, the name of Jesus, will sound with sweet meaning in the believer's ear.

The cord of memory that binds to Christ will still hold, and along it will flash messages of cheer and strength which shall establish your soul in the last darkness.

- (moreillustrations.com)                           

 “It is marvelous how memory will hold the place with Jesus, when it will with no one else.” - C. H. Spurgeon (commenting on the above incident in his Sunday sermon on March 8, 1857)

Ps 113:2 (KJV): “Blessed be the name of the LORD from this time forth and for evermore.”

No comments: