Wednesday, September 7, 2016

UNDERSTANDING THE BIBLE



A shrewd worldly agnostic & a Christian clergyman dressed in a modest clerical suit, says Eli Perkins, sat at the same table in the Pullman dining car.

They were waiting for the first course at the dinner, a delicious Hudson River shad (fish). Eying his companion coldly for a moment, the agnostic remarked:

"I judge you are a clergyman, sir!"

"Yes, sir; I am in my Master's service."

"Yes, you look it. Preach out of the Bible, don't you?"

"Oh, yes, of course."

"Find a good many things in the old Book that you don't understand - eh?"

"Oh, yes; some things."

"Well, what do you do then?"

"Why, my dear friend, I simply do just as we do while eating this delicious shad. If I come to a bone I quietly lay it on one side & go on enjoying the shad & let some fool insist on choking himself with the bones."

The agnostic left.

- Evangelical Messenger (moreillustrations.com)

“Everything God does is love - even when we do not understand Him.” - Basilea Schlink.

Pro 3:5 (NIV): “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.”

No comments: