These words are found in connection with the parable of the rich fool, whose folly illustrates that of every person who "layeth up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God." (Lk 12:21)
There are four classes of people when it comes to the matter of possessions.
(1) Those who are rich in this world's goods & poor toward God.
(2) Those who are poor in this world & rich toward God.
(3) Others are poor in both this world & the next.
(4) Some have considerable amount of this world's goods, but because they hold them with a loose hand they are rich in the next world, too.
But this latter class are not very numerous.
Only a few can possess much of the materials of earth without attaching their hearts here, too.
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." (Mat 6:21)
- Roy L. Hollenback, in Gospel Herald. (moreillustrations.com)