Thursday, October 12, 2017

MEANING OF COMFORT



A missionary translator, laboring amongst a tribe in the mountains of Mexico, found it hard to get the right word for 'comfort'.

One day his helper asked for a week's leave, and explained that his uncle had died & he wanted some days off to visit his bereaved aunt 'to help her heart around the corner'.

That was just the expression the missionary needed.

- (moreillustrations.com)

John 14:16 (KJV): “And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever.”

“If I am walking along the street with a very disfiguring hole in the back of my dress, of which I am in ignorance, it is certainly a very great comfort to me to have a kind friend who will tell me of it. And similarly it is indeed a comfort to know that there is always abiding with me a divine, all-seeing Comforter, who will reprove me for all my faults, and will not let me go on in a fatal unconsciousness of them.” -  Hannah Whitall Smith.

No comments: