Thursday, September 4, 2014

ENCOURAGEMENT FROM JEREMIAH


“I began preaching rather early; much sooner than I think boys should be allowed to preach. My judgment on the matter now is not in keeping with my feelings then; I felt I had been called of God to preach. Others had the same thought, and I was invited to help in a series of revival meetings in a town some distance from my home.

After the first service in which I had preached, as I left the church a very fine woman remarked, "What can he know about God? He is only a child." That woman will never know how near I came to fainting; it was the first word I had heard in opposition to my own desire. I at once decided that I should take the first train for home in the morning. I do not remember ever in my life to have felt more dejected.

My habit was to read a portion of Scripture before retiring for the night. I opened my Bible at random and my eyes espied these words: "But the Lord said unto me, Say not, I am a child: for thou shall go to all that I shall send thee, and whatsoever I command thee thou shall speak. Be not afraid of their faces: for I am with thee to deliver thee, saith the Lord" (Jer. 1:7, 8).

I will confess I rather fell in love with Jeremiah. The train that would take me from the pulpit had not yet started. I did not run away, but had the joy of seeing many souls brought to God.” - Dr. F. B. Stockdale.

No comments: