Wednesday, July 8, 2015

The Wisdom of Humility


Samuel Morse was born into a preacher’s home in New England just two years after George Washington was elected the first president of the United States.

After finishing his education at Yale, he went to England to hone his painting skill. Upon his return to America he was recognized as a gifted artist & was soon in much demand.

Morse’s wife died while he was away from home painting in Washington, D.C. He did not receive the news until it was too late. In his heartbreak, he turned away from painting & began trying to develop a means of rapid communication over great distances.

This eventually led to his discovery of the telegraph. Despite his fame and the many honors that came his way, Morse wasn’t proud or boastful.

He later wrote, “The more I contemplate this great undertaking, the more I feel my own littleness & the more I perceive the hand of God in it & how He has assigned to various persons their duties, Hence our dependence first of all on God, then on each other.”

- Samuel Irenæus (ministry127.com)

John 15:5 (GNB): "I am the vine, and you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will bear much fruit; for you can do nothing without me."

No comments: