Friday, July 31, 2015

WATCHING AND LEARNING


I was browsing in a used book shop when an irate customer stormed in & loudly demanded a refund. When the man couldn't get what he wanted, he began swearing at the clerk.

He continued the tirade for several minutes as a girl of 7 or 8 stood passively at his side. Eventually he stomped out of the store, cursing as he went, with the little girl following close behind.

I wondered if the girl was his daughter. If so, what did she learn from her dad that afternoon?

More important, the event caused me to ask, "What does my daughter learn from me at home & all the places we go together?" She learns a lot more from watching my behavior than from all my little talks about life & God.

The Bible says: "Parents, don't be hard on your children. Raise them properly. Teach them and instruct them about the Lord." (Eph 6:4  CEV)

There are children watching us today, deciding what to believe about life & God. What are they learning from us?

"Actions speak louder than words."  -  William Tiptaft.

- D C McCasland (preceptaustin.org)

No comments: