Saturday, August 8, 2015

KNOWING THE SHEPHERD


Some years ago at a drawing-room function, one of England's leading actors was asked to recite for the pleasure of his fellow guests. He consented & asked if there was anything special that his audience would like to hear.

After a moment's pause, an old clergyman present said: "Could you, sir, recite to us the 23rd Psalm?"

A strange look passed over the actor's face; he paused for a moment & then said: "I can & I will, upon one condition; and that is that after I have recited it, you, my friend, will do the same."

"I?" said the clergyman, in surprise. "But I am not an elocutionist. However, if you wish it, I will do so."

Impressively, the great actor began the psalm. His voice & his intonation were perfect. He held his audience spellbound & as he finished, a great burst of applause broke from the guests.

Then, as it died away, the old clergyman arose & began the psalm. His voice was not remarkable; his intonation was not faultless. When he had finished, no sound of applause broke the silence - but there was not a dry eye in the room & many heads were bowed.

Then the actor rose to his feet again. His voice shook as he laid his hand upon the shoulder of the old clergyman & said: "I reached your eyes & ears, my friends; he reached your hearts. The difference is just this - I know the 23rd Psalm, but he knows the Shepherd."

- The War Cry. (moreillustrations.com)

"And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power." – Paul (1Co 2:4 KJV)

No comments: