Friday, October 9, 2015

GRASPING A SHADOW?


Henry Martyn, a Cambridge University student, was honored at only 20 years of age for his achievements in mathematics. In fact, he was given the highest recognition possible in that field.

And yet he felt emptiness inside. He said that instead of finding fulfillment in his achievements, he had, “Only grasped a shadow.”

After evaluating his life’s goals, Martyn sailed to India as a missionary at the age of 24. When he arrived, he prayed, “Lord, let me burn out for You.”

In the next 7 years that preceded his death, he translated the New Testament into three difficult Eastern languages: Urdu, Persian and Judaeo-Persic. Also, translated the Psalms into Persian.

He died from fever at Tokat, Turkey at the age of 31 yrs.

-  J. Oswald Sanders (ministry127.com)

John 4:34 (ISV): Jesus told them, "My food is doing the will of the one who sent me and completing his work."

"The mere fact itself that God's will is irresistible and irreversible fills me with fear, but once I realize that God wills only that which is good, my heart is made to rejoice."  - A.W. Pink.

No comments: