Tuesday, April 7, 2015

ROCK OF AGES


Augustus Toplady was one day overtaken by a severe thunderstorm in Burrington Combe, a rocky glen running into the heart of the Mendip Hills. There was no habitation anywhere near, and no place to which he could turn for shelter from the storm.

Looking about him, he saw two massive pillars of rock, a deep fissure in the centre of a precipitous crag of limestone, and took refuge there. Standing there in safety, he escaped the storm.

Finding a piece of paper lying near, he picked it up and with his pencil wrote the famous, familiar hymn, first published in 1775:

'Rock of Ages, cleft for me, Let me hide myself in Thee….'

(moreillustrations.com)

Psalms 18:2 (CEV): “You are my mighty rock, my fortress, my protector, the rock where I am safe, my shield, my powerful weapon, and my place of shelter.”

“Unless you have a rock-solid commitment to truth, the Bible won't change your life.” - Winkie Pratney.

“Unless we are firmly anchored in the Rock of Ages, unless we trust in the living God, unless we are vigilant in prayer and fellowship with God, the enemy will be able to vanquish our children.” - Michael Youssef.

No comments: