Thursday, April 2, 2015

THE WONDROUS CROSS


Matthew Arnold, strolling home after the last Lord's Day of his life, remarked to a friend, "Those words we just sang are the finest in the English language."

Mahatma Gandhi asked some missionaries who visited him during a fast to sing a hymn for him. "What hymn?" they inquired. "The hymn that expresses all that is deepest in your faith," he replied.

Arnold and Gandhi were both speaking of that incomparably greatest of hymns, "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross." written by Isaac Watts in 1707.

The whole meaning of life is contained in these lines:

“When I survey the wondrous Cross
On which the Prince of Glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so Divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.”

- Charles G. Hamilton, (moreillustrations.com)

Rom 5:8 (GW): “Christ died for us while we were still sinners. This demonstrates God's love for us.”

No comments: