Monday, December 19, 2016

PROMISE



Abraham Lincoln was well known for total abstinence from alcohol. According to one well known story, he was once offered a drink by a colonel in the military.

Lincoln responded by telling the man that when his mother was on her deathbed, she had summoned him as a nine year old boy & asked for his promise that he would never take a drink.

He then said, “I promised my mother that I never would & up to this hour, I’ve kept this promise! Would you advise me to break that promise?”

The colonel replied, “No, Mr. Lincoln, I wouldn’t have you do it for the world. It was one of the best promises you ever made. I would give a thousand dollars today if I had made my mother a promise like that & had kept it, as you have done.”

(Source: Abraham Lincoln: The Man and His Faith, George Owen)

Ps 15: 1 & 4 (GNT): “LORD, who may enter your Temple? Who may worship on Zion, your sacred hill? … Those who always do what they promise, no matter how much it may cost.”

“God’s promises are all on condition of humble obedience.” – Ellen G White.

No comments: