Thursday, December 8, 2016

REFUGE



Ps 9:9 (GNT): “The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a place of safety in times of trouble.”

Charles Wesley (1707-1788), shortly after being saved in 1738, sat one summer day in his study.

A little bird, pursued by a hawk, flew in through the open window and sought refuge in his bosom, where the baffled hawk dare not follow.

This incident led to the writing of the familiar hymn, “Jesus, Lover of my soul”.

- (moreillustrations.com)

First two stanzas of the hymn …

“Jesus, lover of my soul,
Let me to Thy bosom fly,
While the nearer waters roll,
While the tempest still is high.
Hide me, O my Savior, hide,
Till the storm of life is past;
Safe into the haven guide;
Oh, receive my soul at last.

Other refuge have I none,
Hangs my helpless soul on Thee;
Leave, ah! leave me not alone,
Still support and comfort me.
All my trust on Thee is stayed,
All my help from Thee I bring;
Cover my defenseless head
With the shadow of Thy wing.”

No comments: