Saturday, May 9, 2015

NITTY-GRITTY REASONS


A nitty-gritty reason is the kind that any one of us can have - at any time, on any day - and it can cause our lives to change. Let me tell you what happened to me.

One day I was lounging at home when I heard a knock at the door. It was a timid, hesitant knock. When I opened the door I looked down to see a frail little girl of about 10. She told me, with all the courage her little heart could muster, that she was selling Girl Scout cookies.

It was a masterful presentation - several flavors, a special deal - only $2 per box. How could anyone refuse? Finally, with a big smile & ever so politely, she asked me to buy. And I wanted to. Oh, how I wanted to!

Except for one thing. I didn't have two dollars!

Boy, was I embarrassed! Here I was - a father, had been to college, was gainfully employed - and yet I didn't have two dollars to my name. Naturally I couldn't tell this to the little girl. So I lied to her. I said, "Thanks, but I've already bought Girl Scout cookies this year. And I've still got plenty stacked in the house."

Now that simply wasn't true. But it was the only thing I could think of to get me off the hook. And it did. The little girl said, "That's okay, sir. Thank you very much." And with that she turned around & went on her way.

I stared after her for what seemed a very long time. Finally, I closed the door behind me & leaning my back to it, cried out, "I don't want to live like this anymore. I've had it with being broke & I've had it with lying. I'll never be embarrassed again by not having any money in my pocket."

That day I promised myself to earn enough to always have some money in my pocket at all times.

This is what I mean by a nitty-gritty reason. It may not win me any prize for greatness, but it was enough to have a permanent effect on the rest of my life.

My Girl-Scout-cookie story does have a happy ending.

Several years later, as I was crossing the street to get into my car, I saw two little girls who were selling candy for some girls' organization.

One of them approached me, saying, "Mister, would you like to buy some candy?"

"I probably would," I said playfully. "What kind of candy do you have?"

"It's almond roca."

"Almond roca. That's my favorite. How much is it?"

"It's only $2."

Two dollars. I was excited. "How many boxes of candy have you got?"

"I've got five."

Looking at her friend, I said, "And how many boxes do you have left?"

"I've got four."

"That's nine. Okay, I'll take them all."

At this, both girls' mouths fell open as they exclaimed in unison, "Really?"

"Sure," I said. "I've got some friends that I'll pass some around to."

Excitedly, they scurried to stack all the boxes together. I reached into my pocket & gave them $18.

As I was about to leave, one of the girls looked up & said, "Mister, you're really something!"

How about that! Can you imagine spending only $18 & having someone look you in the face & say, "You're really something!"

Now you know why I always carry a few hundred dollars on me. I'm not about to miss chances like that ever again.

And to think it all resulted from my own embarrassment, which when properly channeled, acted as a powerful motivator to help me achieve.

How about you? What nitty-gritty reasons do you have waiting to challenge & provoke you into change for the better?

- Jim Rohn (aksermonillustrations.blogspot.in)

Pro 21:21 (CEV): "If you try to be kind and good, you will be blessed with life and goodness and honor."

No comments: