Monday, January 4, 2016

WHY SOME SERMONS FAIL?


Methodist layman visited a great city church in Ohio during a business trip. After the service he congratulated the minister on his service & sermon.

"But," said the manufacturer, "If you were my salesman I'd discharge you. You got my attention by your appearance, voice & manner; your reading & logical discourse aroused my interest; you warmed my heart with a desire for what you preached; and then - and then you stopped, without asking me to do something about it. In business, the important thing is to get them to sign on the dotted line."

-  Record of Christian Work. (moreillustrations.com)

2Ti 2:15 (BBE) says: “Let it be your care to get the approval of God, as a workman who has no cause for shame, giving the true word in the right way.”

“The test of a preacher is that his congregation goes away saying, not ‘what a lovely sermon,’ but, ‘I will do something!’” -  Francis de Sales.

“Lord, help me to preach today as if it were the last sermon I would ever preach.” - Jack Hyles.

No comments: