Sunday, March 13, 2016

PERSONAL DEVOTIONS



In the 1880s, a young man who was an earnest Christian found employment in a pawnshop. Although he disliked the work, he did it faithfully as unto the Lord until a more desirable opportunity opened for him.

To prepare himself for a life of Christian service, he wrote on a scrap of paper the following resolutions:

“I do promise God that I will rise early every morning to have a few minutes - not less than 5 - in private prayer. I will endeavor to conduct myself as a humble, meek & zealous follower of Jesus & by serious witness & warning I will try to lead others to think of the needs of their immortal souls. I hereby vow to read no less than 4 chapters in God's Word every day. I will cultivate a spirit of self-denial & will yield myself a prisoner of love to the Redeemer of the world.”

That young man was William Booth, who later led thousands to Christ & founded the ‘Salvation Army.’

- Our Daily Bread. (ministry127.com)

2 Tim 2:15 (ESV): “Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.”

“Whatever ‘call’ a man may pretend to have, if he has not been called to holiness, he certainly has not been called to the ministry.” - Charles Spurgeon.

No comments: